To get things started I thought it would be helpful to know where everyone ended up job-wise. If you're still looking and want some help, let us know.
To start off, I ended up in Ely, Nevada, 4 hours north of Vegas and 4 hours west of Utah Valley. I'm working in the community mental health clinic. Since it is in a rural area, I'm doing a little bit of everything--individual, couples, children, groups.
So where are you?
Austin
I had a summer internship out in DC, but that has ended, so I am now looking for a job. I have applied to a few but have yet to hear back from any of them (positions at IHC, the Church, U of U and SLCC). I'm getting to the point where I'm considering looking outside of social work so I can at least have some form of income.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your job! That's got to be nice to have a bit of everything in your job responsibilities.
Hey Gang... Well it is my one week anniversary of starting work today! I am in Calgary working at a Walk-In Community Crisis Center called Eastside Family Center. We work with anyone who comes in the door, so I am exposed to everything, which I love!
ReplyDeleteI find that we speak a different language in the States or at BYU. Some major names and theories they use are foreign to me. Also, things get localized, for example FFT from the UofU, they have never heard of!
I am not sure how I ended up with this amazing job... we work as teams, behind mirrors doing brief single session work. We also do some focused sessions 3-4 if needed. There's a lot of Solution Focus, Narrative, Postmodern etc.
Anyway, I feel kinda odd at times, since I am paid and the interns amaze me:) Most of our staff are community therapists who volunteer also. So I work with Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Family Therapists etc. It has been intimidating but invigorating.
I will also be working one day a week at an Elementary school starting soon. In class I always said I did not want to work with children... opps! Now I feel kind of overwhelmed cause I tossed my notes!
Would love to know how your all doing also...
Marcus
I didn't toss my notes, but I did sell my books. Doing community mental health in a rural means working with kids, which I never imagined doing.
ReplyDelete